Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Why are we so excited? - Warehouse 13 continues.



Another week, another Warehouse 13 episode. There were some glitches of course, but all in all it was a good one, again. So far, I’m really enjoying season 5.

The Warehouse seems to be out of danger (at least for now), so it’s back to business – tracking down artifacts. In the latest episode, the agents split – Pete and Myka travel to Washington DC to investigate a senator’s mysterious death, while Claudia sets out to find out what happened to her sister, with the help of Jinxy and Artie.

Let’s start with the first case: Pete and Myka are looking for an artifact which kills people, making it look like drowning. An interesting idea, although I cannot shake the feeling, that I’ve already seen it before (don’t ask me where, I have no idea). Now here’s my problem with the episode – they figure it out all on their own, and quickly too! I realize Artie was occupied, but they didn’t even ATTEMPT to call him! Did their Farnsworths malfunction or something? Also, when did Myka start carrying a real gun instead of a Tesla? During their investigation Pete and Myka reunite with their two former Secret Service colleagues, who after acting a little suspicious, turn out to be in a relationship. Is it just me, or are the writers trying to make the two Warehouse agents end up together in the final season? I’m not sure how I feel about this. While I’m no completely against Pete and Myka as a couple, it would be nice, just this once, if the guy and the girl who start off hating each other and grow to be good friends and partners over time, didn’t end up in a relationship. One can only hope.

The second storyline, was much better if you ask me. Artie takes Claudia on a trip into his memory using ,the Memory Walking Baby Shoes (best artifact name ever btw - Aga), so that she can see what happened to her sister, and her parents. It turns out Artie met his future protégé much earlier than we previously thought. When Claire, Claudia’s sister, was infected by Frances Farmer’s music box, Artie was the agent in charge of finding it. I must admit I didn’t foresee what was coming – Claire threw the artifact into a fire during a fit induced by it, and the music box could no longer be neutralized, making it impossible for her to be cured. The only thing the Warehouse agents could do, was put her in a coma. The episode ends with Claudia promising her sister, that she will find a way to help her, which means the storyline will continue. I really can’t wait! As an added bonus, we get to meet little Claudia Donovan, who already has amazing instincts, and impressive computer skills.

One more thing: I really love Mrs. Fredrick, but why the hell is she suddenly asking Myka about having children and “reevaluating her priorities”?! Come on! Just because she had cancer doesn’t mean she will suddenly decide to completely change her life, start having babies and leave the Warehouse…

Not perfect, so I’m giving the episode 4/5 stars – I have some beefs, but they are mostly details I can live with.

- Ziemia 




I definitely agree that this episode wasn’t even, but to be honest, I feel like Warehouse 13’s episodes rarely are. They usually have some amazingly mind-blowing moments right next to the weak ones. It’s the overall emotion I have after the final credits that determine what I feel about the episode, and this time I am pretty pleased with it. Let’s be honest though: it’s mostly because of Claudia’s plot which was really great. I loved seeing small Claudia, who was not only smart, but already had an intuition too! I can’t wait to see her become a Caretaker, because it’s obviously where the show is going (I just hope Mrs. Frederick is not going to repeat her fate from the end of 3rd season).

Like Ziemia said, Myka’s plot is getting weirder and weirder. There is just too many little details that seem out-of-character for her: carrying the gun, the whole “finding your new purpose in life" theme and the sudden Pete/Myka relationship promise, while the majority of fans have been rooting for H.G./Myka for some time now. All of it makes me wonder if they are not planning some evil plot twist for the end… that it won’t turn out that Myka didn’t make it out of the surgery and she’s in some kind of coma? That would explain why she’s slipping out of reality and starts to make less and less sense. I really hope that’s not what they are going to do to us, but I am going to watch her arcs and her relationships with other characters closely.

Also, Mrs Frederick giving a prep talk about having children was one of the creppiest things yet.

- Aga

No comments:

Post a Comment