Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Why are we so excited? – Warehouse 13 is back!







On April 14th finally, the fans got what they were waiting for: the first episode of 5th (and final!) season of Warehouse 13 aired. It was action packed, but goofy at times (this time, surprisingly, mostly because of Jinxy not Pete), and, what I probably loved most about it, filled with references and, sometimes unexpected, comebacks.

This show loves cliffhangers so it wasn’t surprising that season 4 left us with another one – this time it wasn’t the world, but the Warehouse itself that was endangered. Apparently it wasn’t enough, because Myka got cancer too. The new episode, “Endless Terror”, threw us in the middle of things, literally where the last season left off. I thought it was too quick, and too abrupt, and for a bit of time I was worried. But then Jinxy crashed the car and got electrocuted in the period of a few minutes, both things unnecessarily, and I knew the new season was going to be just like the previous ones (only shorter). 

The plot of the episode may seem simple: after Claudia failed to defeat Paraselsus (showing more guts and giving more awesome one-liners than we’ve seen for a couple past episodes!), the team follows him through time and parallel universes to stop his plan to change the Warehouse into an anti-utopian, futuristic center devoted to human experiments. But the episode was filled with emotions, action and references to previous seasons (is it something that’s going to continue as a last season’s tribute to the whole show  I very much hope so!). There were some of the old and well-known artifacts shown again, including the Spine of Saracen, H.G. Wells’ Time Machine and Alice’s Mirror which seems to be a favorite among the props. It wasn’t only artifacts which seemed familiar! Both doctor Vanessa and Hugo dropped by, but probably the most important was the appearance of Mark Sheppard as Benedict Valda. Especially that it seems he’s going to stay, which I am very okay with.

To sum up: I am happy with how the new season started. It had a solid story (and I am a sucker for parallel universes/time travel arcs!) and believable emotions and motivations; especially Claudia’s character development seems very promising and exciting, and I look forward seeing how her story will develop. The only thing I really can’t forgive is how they handled Myka. The ending of the previous season dropped an emotional bomb on us, and after how devastating her illness was to Pete, I expected that season 5 would take some time to deal with that topic. But nope, apparently surgery is all it takes to be able TO RUN AND FIGHT LIKE NOTHING HAS EVER HAPPENED. No, I am sorry, but in the series like that there surely has been some other – reasonable - way they could’ve put her back on her feet in such a short notice. I dunno, an artifact maybe?

 I really do hope that they would address this issue in the following episodes, because otherwise I will be really disappointed.

All in all, I give it 4/5 stars.
                                                                                                                                                     by Aga






Let me start by saying it again: MARK SHEPPARD IS BACK. I don’t know what it is about this guy, but whenever he appears on a show, it gets soooooooooo much better. I’m always excited to see him on screen. 

Now, back to discussing the episode. I mostly agree with Aga with the one exception: yes, the Myka-has-cancer  plot resolution was rather anti-climatic, but in the writers’ defense – this happens sometimes! Sometimes it turns out to just be a binine cyst. I’m not saying they handled it perfectly, but I must admit I kinda like their mischievousness. They laid the ground for potential drama, had fans worrying for almost a year and it all turned out to be just fine. That’s not what you were supposed to be worrying about! Besides, if Myka was lying in a hospital somewhere, who would save everyone’s ass? It’s not like anyone else reads the manual.

Claudia was great as usual, and although I miss her colorful hair, it’s nice to see she is still a total badass with a witty response to just about anything. I wish there was more interaction between her and Jinxy in the episode, because I really love their dynamic, but I’m hoping for more of their goofiness in future episodes.  Speaking of Jinxy, I wonder if he is going to be the one getting into trouble from now on, or did Pete just get one episode off?

All things considered, a really good episode, and hopefully a herald of a great season.
by Ziemia







 


No comments:

Post a Comment