Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why are we so excited? - Orphan Black, season 2!



"Orphan Black". Probably the best thing that happened in 2013, a show that climbed my list of personal favourites with the speed of light, winning me over completely before I was able to mutter the words: "clone club". The first season was brilliant, and had everything a good show should have: almost unbearable tension, amazing characters, mind-blowing acting of Maslany (I swear, when I see Sarah and Allison next to each other, I almost always forget it's the same actress!), guns, secrets and clones. And naked butts of attractive people.

It's easy to see then why I was so excited to watch the first episode of the second series - "Nature Under Constraint and Vexed" (a.k.a. "The One in Which Sarah Goes Fully Badass"). Just like the new season of "Warehouse 13" about which I was writing a few days ago, it picks up where the last season left us, this time with Sarah discovering that her adorable daughter Kira has been kidnapped. In the period of a few minutes the series regains its full speed, honouring Hitchcock's motto about a good film starting with an earthquake, and being followed by rising tension. Though instead of an earthquake, we get two deaths and an intense chase.

The plot thickens, and the noose tightens around the girls' necks. Cosima is still sick, still with Delphine, still being offered the job by dr. Leekie. Sarah's still messed up and desperate about finding both Kira and Mrs. S. Allison on the other hand seems more normal, participates in rehearsals for a musical (not "Cats") and becomes a gun-supplier for the team. Felix is high and butt-naked. We see more of Rachel the Bitchy Clone too, and I swear there is more to her than it seems. Especially the scene of her confrontation with Sarah is marvelous, showing some emotions breaking through the emotionless mask.
The other big thread includes Art's and Sarah's growing relationship, and it seems Art has a chance to replace Paul as Sarah's ally this season (without the sex though, especially since we are supposed to meet Cal Morrison, Sarah's ex-lover. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we are going to get our hetero-sex.). In the meantime Paul is still forced to be on the wrong side.
The very end of the show tells us two very important things: Helena's religious movement is back in town, with a new Big Bad Guy™ on the horizon. Speaking of Helena, guess who's not dead.



Yeeah. I have mixed feelings about that, as I was kinda happy about her death (don't get me wrong, the character was played brilliantly, but I just felt she was used to the fullest, and that her arc ended rightfully), but I am willing to give her a chance. I only hope we will get to see some new clones too.

One more thing: why haven't we seen Fee high before? That was the single best thing about the episode, and he got to be the first to show off a naked ass this season, which I am okay with.


I could end this thing by telling you how wonderful an actress Tatiana is, but I think everyone is aware of that already. But if you need any more convincing, watch the part in which  Sarah impersonates Cosima. In a way which makes it obvious to a viewer which girl it really is. If that's not a talent, I don't know what is.

 




- by Aga

No comments:

Post a Comment